That’s why Texas Health Resources and other leading health systems around the country have spent the last decade preparing for and shaping this new environment. We completed a significant transformation over the last ten years to shift from a great acute care hospital system to a health system focused on well-being and prevention, along with caring for the sick and injured. This work will fortify our ability to fulfill our Mission of improving the health of the people in the communities we serve. To continue this progression, we unveiled a new 10-year strategy in 2016 that shifts our focus to earning the trust and lifetime loyalty of North Texans. We are supporting consumers throughout their lifetime of health and wellness needs, while continuing to safely and reliably deliver incomparable care and experiences. We also are taking steps to make the care we deliver more seamless, efficient and affordable.
Some key ways we advanced our strategy during the year included:
- Collaborating with Aetna to create a new health plan company that will streamline consumers’ health care experience and deliver more affordable, high-quality and better-coordinated care.
- Identifying the most effective health interventions and applying them to the people we serve through Southwestern Health Resources, the integrated health network we formed with UT Southwestern Medical Center®.
- Adding 30-plus freestanding emergency departments and a 50-bed urgent care hospital to provide more convenient access to these services.
- Investing in additional tools, processes and training for our employees to reliably deliver safe and quality care.
- Improving the well-being of people living in Fort Worth as part of the city’s five-year plan to transform into a certified Blue Zones Community®
Our commitment to organizational excellence has not gone unnoticed. For three years in a row, Texas Health has made the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list and ranked No. 1 on the list of Best Workplaces in Health Care. We have also been nationally honored as the No. 1 Best Workplaces for Women and Diversity and ranked No. 1 on the inaugural list of Best Workplaces in Texas. Having a great place to work is a constant journey, and our unwavering commitment to listening to our people and continuing to make improvements remains stronger than ever.
As we look to the coming year, we will be relentless about improving outcomes for every individual we have the privilege of treating. The people we serve every day deserve nothing less. We also will make investments in innovative health programs that our citizens need as well as initiatives that will sustain our system for decades to come. Thank you for supporting our Mission.
Barclay E. Berdan, FACHE
Chief Executive Officer